balmain rovers
Newsletter - Tuesday 19 April 2005
Published by Balmain Rovers, part of the Balmain & District Soccer Club.
Sydney Amateur League Rd 3

Balmain Rovers v Melchester Rovers: Easton Park, Rozelle: Sun 17 April 2005

Reserves match report by Matt Linton

Round three of the competition and so far so good: unbeaten and looking like a competitive team for the season. Perhaps that was what undid us, an over-confidence that resulted in some soft goals. The match started off OK but there were some obvious defensive holes and a lack of flowing passing football. There was on occasion some good pressure put on the Melchester goal but overall we were looking the lesser side. Some scrambling defence saved us on many occasions. Steve Ashton's goal had us feeling a little more positive. Unfortunately an equaliser from Melchester saw us lose the advantage as the first half ended with scores level at 1-1.

A few changes at half-time and some shuffling around seemed to give us something extra and the football began to improve. We still struggled to get control in the centre of the pitch but some penetrating runs down the wings streched Melchester and let them know they were in a game. Sadly some lapses in concentration at the back (and I put my hand up for some of this) and lack of effort let Melchester through to score three remarkably similar goals. Lesser teams would have crumbled but from this point we seemed to lift a notch or two and put Melchester under considerable pressure resulting in a second goal from Super Boot Liney. We still had a chance to get back on level pegging but the clock was against us and the final whistle blew. 2-4.

Goals: Steve Ashton, Rob Liney
Pele Points: 2 - Michael Penman, Drew Schaper, 1 - Erin Owens, Pete Boyle

Firsts match report by Martyn Farnworth

On a baking hot day the pre-match warm up for the Firsts consisted of hot dogs, extensive back massages and Pete Boyle scoring an own goal. With 2 wins out of 2 and a +10 goal difference the lads began the game with much confidence. On the back of cool, calm defending and good ball possession Balmain looked like the only team who were going to score, and when Farnworth cut the ball across on the edge of the Melchester box for Rob Liney mid-way through the 1st half the golden chance had arrived, but Rob dallied and the chance was gone! Half-time 0-0.

The second half began with Balmain straight into attack mode. With the tireless running of McLeod and Salomoni and the livewire pace of Farnworth it was only a matter of time for the goal to come. The shape of the team was disrupted a little when Steve Ashcroft picked up a small leg injury and had to go off the field. Five minutes later Balmain were back in control. The pressure built and the winner proved to be of a special quality. Farnworth received the ball on the half way line, zipped past 1 midfielder, took on 2 more defenders, dummied the keeper and slotted the ball home with his left foot. 1-0 Balmain. Did someone say Kinkladze?

From then on Melchester pushed forward leaving themselves vulnerable at the back. Balmain had several chances to increase the lead with Liney hitting the crossbar, McLeod firing over from 8 yards and Farnworth getting an unlucky bobble from a Henderson pass to send the ball inches over the crossbar. Dom Salomoni picked up a yellow card when the ball hit him in the 'face', but other than that a composed team performance highlighted the medal points allocation. To quote from Stew Shaw's inspiring pre-match team talk, Balmain remain "Top Of The Pops". 1-0.

Goals: Martyn Farnworth
Pele Points: 1 - Marshall Moir, Pete Boyle, Andy Henderson, Stew Shaw, Dom Salomoni, Andy McLeod

Canterbury District Rd 3

Balmain Rovers v Enfield A: Henley Park, Enfield: Sat 16 April 2005

Match report by Sergio Fiorenza

Another lovely autumn day saw the Rovers (with 3 rovers of the canine variety cheering us on from the sidelines) make their way out to Henley Park to sample the hospitality of Enfield Rovers, whose bark turned out to be worse than their bite! Your correspondent was injured and unable to play, but warned the lads to expect a very physical game from Enfield, and we were not to be disappointed. Straight from the kick-off the physical stuff started, as it was quite obvious that they were no match for us football-wise. Sure enough, Simon duly slotted a lovely left foot shot into the bottom corner of the Enfield net after only 5 minutes.

Next it was Dan Whaite's turn, with his first goal for Rovers, and soon after followed a third when Simon was cynically hacked down inside the area. He scored on the rebound after the keeper had made a good save. For some reason we went to sleep, and did our usual trick of gifting the opponents a goal, and soon after another, with one of the softest penalties I have ever seen courtesy of a request in Arabic to the ref from one of the Enfield boys. The ref will remain unmentioned in the remainder of this match report, as we all know how many people read these newsletters all over the world, and I donít want to get a disrepute charge from FIFA! Anyway a quick chat at half time to get our focus back seemed to work, and Simon got his third and Dan Whaite sealed it with his second goal. Another sloppy piece of defending from a corner gave Enfield an undeserved third goal making the final score 5-3 to Balmain.

Next week is the big double-header at Easton Park, where Rovers Div 7 play at 1:15, followed by Allanís Div 8 team at 3pm. Hope to see you all there!!

Goals: Simon (3), Dan (2)
Pele Points: 3 - Roberto Arocha, 2 - Simon Goodman, 1 - Dan Whaite

Balmain Rovers v Strathfield A: Strathfield Park, Strathfield: Sat 16 April 2005

Match report by Antoon Visser

It was a nice cool day for a game of soccer. The pitch was really nice and flat which we're not used to after all our training in Wentworth Park. Strathfield got a lucky goal very early on, due to some miscommunication in our defence. after that the game was fairly equal, although chaotic. Neither team kept possession very well but the game was mainly played in our half. Our defence held well under pressure and so did theirs. Dave was often unmarked on the right hand side, but we failed to give him the ball and make use of our width, generally gravitating towards the ball a bit too much, clogging up either one flank or the other. They did some nice 'Rivaldo' style dives and the referee seemed to like the show and awarded a few free kicks. Luckily they flew either over or wide of the box. After that we finally got some chances, but failed to get it on target, with Antoon blasting it ridiculously wide. D'OH!! sorry guys. Before the whistle, Paddy got a header on goal but the keeper saved well.

In the second half we took more control of the midfield and the passing seemed to be more fluent, with Dean having a great game as usual even though he was sick. Balmain was really getting into the game and started off well, with our defence holding superbly. Dean put a great ball in front of goal and Kader held off his defender and with a cool finish didn't give their keeper a chance. Some great passing and a very good goal. We're back in the game! Strathfield consequently started to make more fouls but only got punished for them every so often. In the last 10 minutes Michael came forward to help up front and he got a great shot that cleared the keeper, It looked like it just needed a tap-in but we unfortunately hit it wrong and it went wide. A great chance though, and next time it will go in. Amir pulled off a great save at the other end from a free kick. and that pretty much wrapped up the game. We lost but they probably did create a few more chances than we did. 1-2.

Goals: Kader Tamsaouit
Pele Points: 3 - Gavin Carey, 2 - Allan Frydman, 1 - Michael Bosnich

Futsal Update

Balmain Rovers defeated Euro Trash 2-1 on 7 April, and then hammered the second placed Fraser Park 6-0 (5 goals to Rob Liney, 1 to Jeff See) on 14 April to continue to perch on top of the table in the Thursday 2nd Division of the Indoor 5s autumn comp. Special mention should also go to Stewart Shaw for maintaining a clean sheet, no easy task in futsal. Next match: Rovers v Glebe Albion, 10pm, Thursday 21 April, Sydney University. NSW Futsal site

Award Standings

Pele Medal (all teams)
7 --- Simon Goodman
4 --- Rob Liney, Erin Owens
3 --- Roberto Arocha, Gavin Carey, Gabe Cataldo, Jacob Cavallaro, Ben Jones, Dean Lenz, Andy McLeod, Jim Wragg
2 --- Steve Ashcroft, Pete Boyle, Paddy Denvir, Allan Frydman, Dan Higson, Dale Humphries, MichaelPenman, Dom Salomoni, Drew Schaper, Jeff See, Nick Vince
1 --- Michael Bosnich, Ruben Davis, Amir Hatami, Andy Henderson, Matt Linton, Tony Madau, Marshall Moir, Stewart Shaw, Ere Sihalath, Dan Whaite, Kristian Wiles

Golden Boot (all teams)
7 ---- Rob Liney
6 ---- Simon Goodman
3 ---- Martyn Farnworth
2 ---- Andy McLeod, Jeff See, Dan Whaite
1 ---- Steve Ashton, Paddy Denvir, Sergio Fiorenza, David Hull, Dale Humphries, Kader Tamsaouit, Tony Unsworth, Nick Vince, Adam White

Next ...

SAFL Firsts & Reserves v Leichhardt Saints - Wentworth Park, Glebe, 1pm & 3pm Sat 23 April
CDFSA Div 7 v Marrickville - Easton Park, Rozelle, 1.15pm Sat 23 April
CDSFA Div 8 v Burwood B - Easton Park, Rozelle, 3pm Sat 23 April
SAFL First & Reserves v Melchester Rovers (Knockout Cup) - Wentworth Park, Glebe, 12.30pm & 2.30pm Mon 25 April

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this newsletter, send a blank email with the
subject line "BALMAIN ROVERS - UNSUBSCRIBE" to Balmain Rovers

Email comments and suggestions for this newsletter to Balmain Rovers
Tuesday 19 April 2005
Newsletter content © 2005 Balmain Rovers